Spirited Away is a 2001 Japanese animated fantasy film by the widely acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away quotes and sayings are popular even today among the anime movie fans.
The movie revolves around an abandoned amusement park that’s an abode of spirits who have passed onto the next world.
Spirited Away is one of the best creations from animator Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli in general. Spirited Away remains to be one of the best and most popular even today, a couple of decades later. That’s nothing short of remarkable.
You may also like:
Best Spirited Away Quotes (Involving Chihiro Ogino)
1. Chihiro: Guys, don’t take that food! We’re gonna get in trouble!
Chihiro’s Father: Don’t worry, you’ve got Daddy with you. He’s got credit cards and cash!
2. “I hope Dad hasn’t gotten too fat.” – Chihiro
3. “I’m not leaving until you give me a job!!” – Chihiro Ogino
4. “I promise I’ll get you out of here, just don’t get any fatter or they’ll eat you!” – Chihiro
5. “Listen, Haku. I don’t remember it, but my mom told me… Once, when I was little, I fell into a river. She said they’d drained it and built things on top. But I’ve just remembered. The river was called the Kohaku River. Your real name is… Kohaku.” -Chihiro
6. Haku: You did it, Chihiro! I remember. I was the spirit of the Kohaku River!
Chihiro: A river spirit?
Haku: My name is the Kohaku River!
Chihiro: They filled in that river, it’s all apartments now!
7. Chihiro’s Father: A new home and a new school? It is a bit scary.
Chihiro: I think I can handle it.
Best Spirited Away Quotes (Involving Haku)
8. “You have to hold your breath while you cross the bridge. Even the tiniest breath will break the spell, and then everyone will see you.” -Haku
9. “You still haven’t noticed that something precious to you has been replaced.” -Haku
10. Rin: What? Don’t you dump her on me!
Haku: You said you wanted an assistant.
11. Haku: Just little pieces. Chihiro kept calling my name in the darkness. I followed her voice and woke up lying here.
Kamajii: Chihiro, huh? Her real name’s Chihiro? Can’t beat the power of love.
12. Chihiro: You can’t remember your name?
Haku: No. But for some reason, I remember yours.
13. Haku: That must be why I can’t find my way home, Chihiro. I remember you falling into my river, and I remember your little pink shoe.
Chihiro: So, you were the one who carried me back into shallow waters, you saved me! I knew you were good!
Best Spirited Away Quotes (Involving Zeniba)
14. “Use it to tie your hair. It’ll protect you. It is made from the threads your friends wove together.” -Zeniba
15. “Once you do something, you never forget. Even if you can’t remember.” -Zeniba
16. “Once you’ve met someone you never really forget them. It just takes a while for your memories to return.” -Zeniba
17. “You pea-brain. Can’t you even tell me from your own mother.” -Zeniba
Best Spirited Away Quotes (Involving Lin)
18. “Someday, I swear I’ll get to that town. I’m gonna get out of here.” – Rin
19. Lin: What’s going on here?
Kamaji: Something you wouldn’t recognize. It’s called love.
20. “No-Face, if you even put one scratch on that girl, you’re in big trouble.” -Lin
Other Spirited Away Quotes
21. “Aren’t you even going to knock? You’re the most pathetic little girl I’ve ever seen.” -Door Knocker
22. “You humans always make a mess of things. Like your parents who gobbled up the food of the spirits like pigs. They got what they deserved.” -Yubaba.
23. “If you make Sen cry I won’t like you anymore.” – Boh
Life Lessons from Spirited Away
Spirited away is an animated movie that has a lot of emotional and psychological twists and turns. It will make you think about life in general. Here are some simple life lessons that you can learn from watching the movie:
- Never be motivated by greed. The main protagonist, Chihiro, taught us that if you stay true to your purpose, you will never lose your way. She was motivated by her desire to save her parents and get out of the bathhouse.
- At every opportunity, try to help others in their journey. When you strive to help other people around you, your generosity will be felt by all, and they will eventually return the favor to you even if you don’t ask for it.
- Always try to show your gratitude in any way that you can. The people around you will appreciate it very much.
- Having strong determination will eventually lead to success.
- Always try to get something that you worked hard for in life. Do not feel satisfied with something that you haven’t earned. These things are all illusions and will leave you empty at any point in time.
- Believe in your actions and yourself no matter what happens. It will all settle down once everything clears.
The are some of the important life lessons that Spirited Away taught its audience. It is a movie that is full of hidden meanings and metaphors. It may be confusing at times, but if you look deeply into what the story is all about, you will come to understand what it truly wants to convey.
Interesting Facts about the Spirited Away
Here are some fascinating facts about Spirited Away.
- Miyazaki wrote the movie without a script. Miyazaki usually does not have a ready script on hand before production starts. The story unfolds as soon as he starts creating the storyboards. Production starts after.
- Miyazaki conceptualized, wrote, and directed the film himself. He created the whole story through drawings from start to finish.
- One of the daughters of Miyazaki’s friends inspired the character of Chihiro.
- The director is detail-oriented, which helps the movie. Miyazaki made it a point to focus on every little detail. How the main character behaves and what her reactions would be. Chihiro may seem apathetic at first, but deep down, she is a determined girl that wants to save her parents and get out of her predicament in any way possible.