Death Note is a terribily realistic series. This paints a grim picture of reality. It’s a cruel world, and the insecure do the most damage and cause the most problems.
Death Note quotes are brilliant because it’s dramatic, semi-realistic, and entertaining. Because of his inner struggle to do the right thing, the protagonist will make you either love or hate him.
You may also like:
Best Light Yagami Quotes
1. “In this world, there are very few people who actually trust each other.”
2. “Humans aren’t made perfectly. Everyone lies. Even so… I’ve been careful not to tell lies that hurt others.”
3. “Look around you, and all you will see are people the world would be better off without.”
4. “I can’t develop feelings. That’s how most idiots screw up.”
5. “For murderers, there is no good or evil. I know that.”
6. “The thing I hate the most is to trample on other people’s good will.”
7. “You can’t ever win if you’re always on the defensive. To win, you have to attack!”
Best L Lawliet Quotes
8. “This isn’t divine judgement. It’s the work of some childish killer who’s playing at divine retribution. That’s all.”
9. “Kira is childish and he hates losing… I’m also childish and hate to lose. That’s how I know.”
10. “There is no heaven or hell. No matter what you do while you’re alive, everybody goes to the same place once you die. Death is Equal.”
11. “Being alone is better than being with the wrong person.”
12. “There are… many types of monsters in this world: Monsters who will not show themselves and who cause trouble; monsters who abduct children; monsters who devour dreams; monsters who suck blood, and… monsters who always tell lies.”
13. “Learn to treasure your life because unfortunately, it can be taken away from you anytime.”
14. “Sometimes, the questions are complicated – and the answers are simple.”
Best Ryuk Quotes
15. “The human world is a boring place with boring people doing boring things.”
16. “I don’t care if it is fortunate or unfortunate that Light picked up the Death Note. However… It is generally bad luck for a person to be followed by a God of Death.”
17. “All humans die the same, the place they go after death isn’t decided upon by a god it is Mu (nothingness).”
18. “You have lost, Light. Didn’t I say in the beginning, when you die, the one who’ll write your name down in a notebook will be me? That is the deal between the Shinigami and the first human to get their hands on the note in the human world. Once you enter prison, I don’t know when you’ll die. It’s annoying to wait. Your life is already over. You’ll die here.”
Best Death Note Quotes (From Others)
19. “People in supervising positions in investigation are supposed to give too much of their opinion, and if they are wrong, all it would take is an apology.” – Near
20. “If you can’t beat the game, if you can’t solve the puzzle, you’re nothing but a loser.” – Near
21. “Unless someone makes the first move, nothing will happen.” – Misa Amane
22. “Careful what you do, cuz “God” is watching your every move. Hold my hand in the dark street, for if you do I know that I’ll.. be safe. Even if I’m far away and alone, I can be sure that you’ll find me there, this I know.” – Misa Amane
23. “In the end, there is no greater motivation than revenge.” – Mello
24. “It’s time I started living my own life.” Mello
25. “In this world, there is only good and evil, that was the first universal truth I grasped from observing the world around me when I was a child. Every human being without exception ends up falling into one category or the other.” – Mikami Teru
26. “Laws aren’t perfect, because humans who created laws aren’t perfect. It’s impossible to be perfect. However, the laws are evidence of the human’s struggle to be righteous.” – Sochiro Yagami
27. “The real evil is the power to kill people. Someone who finds himself with that power is cursed. No matter how you use it, anything obtained by killing people can never bring true happiness.” – Soichiro Yagami
What is the main message of Death Note? (Life Lessons)
There are various life lessons we as a society can learn from Death Note, the first one being its an unfair world we live in. Luck holds the most weight amongst variables that decide how we live here. Light got the Death Note and decided to become a Shinigami punishing criminals.
Money is not the root of all Evil but the people are. Because in the end it’s human greed that leads him to love money. Light had money but he still did what he did in Anime because of his twisted personality and because he was bored even killing innocent people in the story.
Another lesson that Death Note teaches is to be yourself. People try to please and impress others but in the end you can’t trust anyone. Just live your life how you want to until it is harming others.
Death Note shows us how friends whom you trust can stab you in the back and thus you must trust someone if you have enough data about another person or a long lasting relationship. In Death Note it was never expected Light would kill Lawliet, but he did. He pretended to care for him but it was just all for show.
Death Note Controversies
In 2005, the series was banned in various cities of China including Liaoning,Beijing, Shanghai and Lanzhou in Gansu Province because students were altering their books to make it seem like Death Note. A hearing was held in May 2010 in New Mexico, U.S. to ban Death Note manga.