Bilbo Baggins is indeed one of the significant characters from the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. His character is an important part of the plot, and everything that he feels or does affects the story. For this reason, people look unto Bilbo Baggins quotes even today.
Unlike other quest participants, he is far away from the evils of greed and conspiracy and is instead a true epitome of strength, logic, and generosity. Baggins does not possess any wizardly powers.
You may also like:
Lets look at some of the best Bilbo Baggins Quotes..
Best Bilbo Baggins Quotes Handpicked
1. “All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.”
2. “Roads go ever ever on, Over rock and under tree, By caves where never sun has shone, By streams that never find the sea”
3. “I wish I was at home in my nice hole by the fire, with the kettle just beginning to sing!”
4. “Sorry! I don’t want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea – any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!”
5. Frodo: They all say they’re coming. Except for the Sackville-Bagginses, who are demanding you ask them in person.
Bilbo: Are they, indeed? Over my dead body.
Frodo: They’d probably find that quite agreeable. They seem to think you have tunnels overflowing with gold.
Bilbo: It was one small chest, hardly overflowing. And it still smells of troll
6. “I think I’m quite ready for another adventure.”
7. “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
8. “Farewell, King under the Mountain! This is a bitter adventure, if it must end so; and not a mountain of gold can amend it. Yet I am glad that I have shared in your perils – that has been more than any Baggins deserves.”
9. “Go back? No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!”
10. “I thought up an ending for my book: ‘And he lived happily ever after, unto the end of his days.”
11. Thorin: Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?
Bilbo: Pardon me?
Thorin: Axe or sword, what’s your weapon of choice?
Bilbo: [proudly] Well, I do have some skill at conkers, if you must know.
12. “Thrór’s love of gold had grown too fierce. A sickness had begun to grow within him. It was a sickness of the mind. And where sickness thrives bad things will follow.”
13. “Come along back to your nice cells, and I will lock you all in again, and you can sit there comfortably and think of a better plan-but I don’t suppose I shall ever get hold of the keys again, even if I feel inclined to try.”
14. Ori: That’s why we need a burglar!
Bilbo: Hmmm, and a good one too. An expert, I’d imagine.
Gloin: And are you?
Bilbo: [looks behind him, then back] Am I what?
15. “If ever you are passing my way. Don’t wait to knock! Tea is at four, but any of you are welcome at any time!”
16. Thranduil: If I am not mistaken, this is the Halfing who stole the keys to my dungeon right from under the nose of my guards.
Bilbo: Yesh. Sorry about that
17. “I like visitors, but I usually get to know them before they visit.”
18. Bilbo: Stop! Stop! There’s been a mistake!
Lobelia: Who are you?
Bilbo: What do you mean, who am I? You know perfectly well who I am, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. This is my home! And those are my spoons. Thank you very much
19. “Frodo, although I must admit I have told you the truth, I might not have told you all of it.”
20. “Victory after all, I suppose! Well, it seems a very gloomy business.”
21. Thorin: I am so sorry… that I have lead you to such peril…
Bilbo: No! I am glad to have shared in your perils, Thorin. Each and every one of them. It is far more than any Baggins deserves!
22. “It’s A Dangerous Business, Frodo, Going Out Your Front Door.“
23. “I came from the end of bag, but no bag went over me. I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ring-winner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider.”
24. Gandalf: You’ve changed, Bilbo Baggins. You’re not the same Hobbit as the one who left the Shire…
Bilbo: I was going to tell you… I found something in the Goblin tunnels.
Gandalf: Found what? What did you find?
Bilbo: [pause] My courage.
25. “Your lullaby would waken a drunken goblin!”
26. “Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!”
27. “Gandalf, my old friend, this will be a night to remember.”
28. Galadriel: The power of the Three Rings is ended. The time has come… for the dominion of Men.
Elrond: [in Elvish] The Sea calls us home.
Bilbo: [smiling] I think I’m quite ready for another adventure!
29. “So Comes Snow After Fire, And Even Dragons Have Their Ending.”
Bilbo Baggins: Character Analysis
His biggest strength is his dedication to serving his friends. No matter what, you will always see him doing the right thing, which means the little Hobbit is gutsy and outwardly courageous.
The dwarf-like creature remains mostly relaxed and happy. You will rarely find him being dissatisfied with anything happening. Bilbo Baggins usually loves being in his little hole where he can eat, drink and feel safe.
The story depicts several interesting shades of Bilbo. In the first half of the story, you will find him a hesitant hobbit, while near the end, you will see an entirely different personality, one who is brave and hopeful.
Bilbo’s journey of self-transformation begins when Gandalf enrolls him in Thorin’s quest.
He then gradually turns out to be a fierce savior for the unfortunate dwarves. Bilbo rescues them at several instances such as from the spiders and wood elves in Mirkwood. He also helps them in discovering the treasure.
The most adorable quality of Bilbo is that his powers do not change his basic conduct.
He always remains a kind and down-to-earth Hobbit who selflessly helps his fellow hobbits without being pretentious.