Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a 2004 American romantic science-fiction film composed by Charlie Kaufman and directed by Michel Gondry.
The film follows an estranged couple who have erased from their past. The movie has been lauded for a lot of beautiful messages throughout and for this reason the quotes from Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind are quite famous.
You may also like:
Quotes by Clementine Kruczynski
1. “Too many guys think I’m a concept, or I complete them, or I’m gonna make them alive. But I’m just a fucked-up girl who’s lookin’ for my own peace of mind; don’t assign me yours.”
2. “I thought maybe you were a nut. But you were exciting.”
3. “You stop listening to what is true, and what is true is constantly changing.”
4. “I’m always anxious thinking I’m not living my life to the fullest, you know? Taking advantage of every possibility? Just making sure that I’m not wasting one second of the little time I have.”
5. “Come back and make up a goodbye, at least. Let’s pretend we had one.”
6. “We are David and Ruth Laskin. Which one do you want to be? I prefer to be Ruth, but I’m flexible.”
7. “I don’t need nice. I don’t need myself to be it, and I don’t need anybody else to be it at me.”
8. “People have to share things. That’s what intimacy is.”
9. “Drink up, young man. It’ll make the whole seduction part less repugnant.”
10. “People don’t understand how lonely it is to be a kid.”
11. “You’ll remember me in the morning and you’ll come to me, and you’ll tell me about us, and we’ll start over.”
12. “Look, man, I’m telling you right off the bat, I’m high maintenance. So, I’m not gonna tip-toe around your marriage or whatever it is you got going on there. If you wanna be with me, you’re with me.”
Quotes by Joel Barish
13. “I walked out the door. There’s no memory left.”
14. “Look at it out here! It’s all falling apart. I’m erasing you, and I’m happy! You did it to me first. I can’t believe you did this to me. Clem! Did you hear me? By morning, you’ll be gone! The perfect ending to this piece of sh*t story!”
15. “Why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit of attention?”
16. “Please let me keep this memory, just this one.”
17. “Constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating.”
18. “I thought you knew that about me. I ran back to the bonfire, trying to outrun my humiliation, I think.”
19. “I thought I knew her so well, but I don’t know her at all. What a loss to spend that much time with someone, only to find out that she’s a stranger.”
20. “Are we like those bored couples you feel sorry for in restaurants? Are we the dining dead? I can’t stand the idea of us being a couple of people think that about.”
21. “Sand is overrated. It’s just tiny, little rocks.”
22. “Valentine’s Day is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.”
23. “I could die right now, I’m just … happy. I’ve never felt that before. I’m just exactly where I want to be.”
Dialogues between Joel and Clementine
24. Joel: I can’t see anything that I don’t like about you.
Clementine: But you will! But you will. You know, you will think of things. And I’ll get bored with you and feel trapped because that’s what happens with me.
Clementine: [pauses] Okay.
25. Joel: I had a really nice time last night.
Joel: I had the best fucking night of my entire fucking life, last night!
Clementine: Thaaaat’s better!
26. Clementine: [Clementine has dyed her hair orange] You like? To match my sweatshirt, exactly.
Joel: Ahaaahhhhh! Ohhhhhh! I like it!
Clementine: You do?
Joel: You look like a tangerine!
Clementine: Hmmm, Clementine the tangerine.
Joel: Juicy… ‘n seedless.
Clementine: I like that.
27. Clementine: You married?
Clementine: Let’s move into this neighborhood!
Joel: I do sorta live with someone though.
Clementine: Male or female?
Joel: What? Female… female…
Clementine: At least I’m not barking up the wrong tree!
28. Clementine: You’re not a stalker, or anything, right?
Joel: I’m not a stalker. YOU’RE the one that talked to me, remember?
Clementine: That is the oldest trick in the stalker book.
Joel: Really? There’s a stalker book? Great, I gotta read that one.
29. [Joel calls Clem on the telephone]
Clementine: What took you so long?
Joel: I just walked in.
Clementine: Do you miss me?
Joel: Oddly enough, I do!
Clementine: You said “I do” – I guess that means we’re married!
Joel: I guess so!
30. Clementine: I’m Clementine. Can I… borrow a piece of your chicken?
Joel: And then you just took it… without waiting for an answer. It was so intimate; like we were already lovers.
31. Joel: Don’t call me Antoine. My name is Wally.
Clementine: Yes, I know, but how can a woman love a man with a name like Wally?
Quotes by Others
32. “How happy is the blameless vestal’s lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned.” — Alexander Pope (Mary Svevo)
33. “It’s amazing, isn’t it? What Howard gives to the world? To let people begin again. It’s beautiful. You look at a baby and it’s so pure and so free, and so clean, and adults are like this mess of sadness and phobias, and Howard just makes it all go away.” — Mary Svevo
34. “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.” — Friedrich Nietzsche (Mary Svevo)
Beautiful Message from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind shows the audience that memory doesn’t just file to be thrown away. They’re much more than the mere thoughts stored within the mind. They are more than that because they form the foundation of our self.
The human mind requires both optimistic and destructive to grow and learn. The attempt to erase one’s memory effectively suffocates the person’s life since memories are the foundation of today’s person.
Additionally, the film demonstrates human nature and the natural world since, despite their best efforts, Joel and Clementine meet up with one the same way when Mary goes back to Howard. The things that make us human cannot be changed through denial or ignorance.
The film also explores the subject of regret. The moment Joel and Clementine get the chance to try their relationship again, Joel is pushed forward after seeing all the mistakes he committed wrong in the past. As a result, he discovers more about Clementine and himself.
Even though they recognize that the things that draw them together could ultimately drive them mad, sacrificing their good moments would be more damaging.