Gimli is undoubtedly portrayed as a revengeful dwarf, especially when he is having a conversation about Moria. Gimli’s victory against Sauron makes him earn the authority of the Glittering Caves at Helm’s Deep.
Despite being sleepless, Gimli accompanied Aragorn and Legolas and ran over a total of 45 leagues in merely four days. Overall, Gimli portrays a comic personality who calms the tense situations with his witty humor. Because of this Gimli quotes are quite popular.
The broad-bladed ax is Gimli’s prime weapon. Gimli’s dressing too is highly attractive. He is seen wearing a short shirt made of steel rings and a cap made of iron and leather. Gimli possesses a strong and audacious personality. He is always transparent and clear with his thoughts and actions.
Throughout the story, he fearlessly expresses resentment for his enemies. The fierce dwarf smiles less often and mostly wears an angry look except when he passes funny statements.
You may also like:
Best Gimli Quotes handpicked
1. “Stay close, young hobbits. They say a great sorceress lives in these woods – an elf witch of terrible power. All those who look upon her fall under her spell and are never seen again.”
2. “It’s true, you don’t see many Dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance that they’re often mistaken for Dwarf men. And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no Dwarf women and that Dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground – which is, of course, ridiculous.”
3. Gimli : Never thought I’d die fighting side by side with an Elf.
Legolas : What about side by side with a friend?
Gimli : Aye. I could do that.
4. “Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?”
5. “Oh yes? Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil, an impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks? And after that, it gets even better! A festering stinking marshland, as far as the eye can see!”
6. “Let them come! There’s one dwarf in Moria who still draws breath!”
7. “Well, this is a thing unheard of. An Elf would go underground, where a Dwarf dare not. Oh, I’d never hear the end of it.”
8. “There’s plenty for the both of us, may the best Dwarf win.”
9. “I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf! Never trust an elf!”
10. [Aragorn readies to take the Paths of the Dead. He leads his horse towards the entrance and passes by Gimli, who stops him]
Gimli : Where do you think you’re going?
Aragorn : Not this time, Gimli. This time you must stay.
[Legolas walks up to them, leading his horse]
Legolas : Have you learned nothing of the stubbornness of Dwarves?
Gimli : You may as well accept it. We’re going with you, laddy.
11. King of the Dead : Release us.
Gimli : Bad idea. Very handy in a tight spot, these lads, despite the fact they’re dead.
12. “They had no honor in life. They have none now in death.”
13. Gandalf: He’s suffered a defeat, yes, but… behind the walls of Mordor, our enemy is regrouping.
Gimli: Let him stay there. *Let him rot!* Why should we care?
14. Gimli: Whatever luck you live by… let’s hope it lasts the night.
Legolas: You’re friends are with you, Aragorn.
Gimli: Let’s hope they last the night…
15. “Speak, or I will put a dint in your hat that even a wizard will find hard to deal with!”
16. “Few can see wither their road will lead them, till they comes to it’s end.”
17. “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens”
18. Gimli: Toss me!
Gimli: I cannot jump the distance. You’ll have to toss me… don’t tell the elf!
19. “I’m wasted on cross-country. We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances.”
20. “If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
21. “Soon, Master Elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the Dwarves. Roaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone.”
22. [sounds of trees ‘speaking’ is heard]
Aragorn: Gimli, lower your axe.
Legolas: They have feelings, my friend. The elves began it, waking up the trees, teaching them to speak.
Gimli: Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm… except the consistency of squirrel droppings?
23. Gimli: [upon leaving Lorien and Galadriel] I have been dealt a wound beyond all healing, for I have looked the last… upon that which was fairest. [sighs] Henceforth I will call nothing fair unless it be her gift to me.
Legolas: What was it?
Gimli: I asked for one hair from her golden head… she gave me three.
24. Legolas: You mean not to follow them.
Aragorn: Frodo’s fate is no longer in our hands.
Gimli: Then it has all been in vain. The fellowship has failed.
25. Eomer: The Uruks are destroyed. We slaughtered them during the night.
Gimli: But there were two Hobbits! Did you see two Hobbits with ’em?
Aragorn: They would be small. Only children to your eyes.
Eomer: We left none alive. We piled the carcasses and burned them.