Die Hard is a 1988 American action film written and directed by John McTiernan and written by Jeb Stuart and Steven E. de Souza. The film is based on a book published in 1979, The End of Time Forever.
Lets check out some of the best Die Hard quotes from different characters ..
Die Hard Quotes by John McClane
1. “Come Out To The Coast, We’ll Get Together, Have A Few Laughs…”
2. “If this is their idea of Christmas, I gotta be here for New Year’s.”
3. “Asshole? I’m not the one who just got butt-fucked on national TV. Now, you listen to me, jerk-off, if you’re not a part of the solution, you’re a part of the problem. Quit being a part of the fucking problem and put the other guy back on!”
4. “Sorry, Hans. Wrong guess. Would you like to go for double jeopardy where the scores can really change?”
5. “Nine million terrorists in the world and I gotta kill one with feet smaller than my sister.”
6. “Was always kinda partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really like those sequined shirts.”
7. “You throw quite a party. I didn’t realize they celebrated Christmas in Japan.”
8. “But, all things being equal, I’d rather be in Philadelphia.”
9. “I promise I will never even think about going up in a tall building again. Oh, God. Please don’t let me die.”
10. “You’d have made a pretty good cowboy yourself, Hans.”
11. Supervisor: [as McClane tries to call up police] Attention, whoever you are, this channel is reserved for emergency calls only.
John McClane: No fucking shit, lady! Does it sound like I’m ordering a pizza?
12. Hans Gruber: You Americans are all alike. Well, this time John Wayne does not walk off into the sunset with Grace Kelly.
John McClane: That’s Gary Cooper, asshole.
13. Marco: No more table! Where are you going to go now? Let me give you some advice: Next time you have the chance to kill someone, don’t hesitate!
John McClane: (Kills him) Thanks for the advice.
14. Hans Gruber: Mr. Mystery Guest? Are you still there?
John McClane: Yeah, I’m still here. Unless you wanna open the front door for me.
15. Dwayne: This is Deputy Chief of Police, Dwayne T. Robinson, and I am in charge of this situation.
John McClane: Oh, you’re in charge? Well, I got some bad news for you Dwayne, from up here it doesn’t look like you’re in charge of jack shit.
16. Tony: You won’t hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you’re a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That’s what my captain keeps telling me.
17. “No. [hands him the gun] Time for the real thing, Bill. All you gotta do is pull the trigger”
18. “Yeah, one of the good guys. You see, you’re one of the bad guys and now that I’ve got your sorry ass, I’m gonna trade it for my wife.”
19. “How can the same shi*t happen to the same guy twice.”
20. “Just once, I’d like a regular normal Christmas. A little eggnog… a f***in’ Christmas tree… a little turkey. But, no. I gotta crawl around in this motherf***in’ tin can.”
Die Hard Quotes by Hans Gruber
21. “We can go any way you want it. You can walk out of here or be carried out. But have no illusions. We are in charge.”
22. “When they touch down, we’ll blow the roof, they’ll spend a month sifting through rubble, and by the time they figure out what went wrong, we’ll be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent.”
23. “I wanted this to be professional, efficient, adult, cooperative. Not a lot to ask. Alas, your Mr. Takagi did not see it that way… so he won’t be joining us for the rest of his life.”
24. “And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. Benefits of a classical education.”
25. “[Hans’ radio turns on] I thought I told all of you, I want radio silence until further…”
26. “Do you really think you have a chance against us Mr. cowboy?”
27. “But, you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he’s John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?”
28. “Mr Takagi, I could talk about industrialization and men’s fashion all day. However, I am far more interested in the 100 million dollars in negotiable bearer bonds hidden in your vault… and the computer controls the vault.”
29. “You Americans are all alike. Well, this time John Wayne does not walk off into the sunset with Grace Kelly.”
30. “I spent a weekend at a combat ranch. You know that game with the guns that shoot red paint? Probably seems kind of stupid to you.”
31. John McClane: Why’d you have to nuke the whole building, Hans?
Hans Gruber: Well, when you steal $600, you can just disappear. When you steal $600 million, they will find you… unless they think you’re already dead.
Die Hard Quotes by Others
32. John McClane: Is the building destroyed?
Sgt. Al Powell: No, but it’s gonna need a new paint job and a shit-load of screen doors.
33. “I shot a kid. He was 13 years old. Ohhh, it was dark, I couldn’t see him. He had a ray gun, looked real enough. You know, when you’re a rookie, they can teach you everything about bein’ a cop except how to live with a mistake. Anyway, I just couldn’t bring myself to draw my gun on anybody again.”– Sergeant Al Powell
34. “You are the wrong person at the wrong place at the wrong time” – Captain Grant
35. “You are in my little pond now, and I am the big fish that runs it.” – Carmine Lorenzo
36. “Listen Dick – if that is your name – Dick. If you’re gonna continue to get this close would you consider switching aftershaves?” – Holly McClane
37. “You’ll have to forgive Ellis. He gets very depressed this time of year. He thought he was God’s greatest gift. You know?” – Holly Gennero McClane
38. John McClane: I think he’s got his eye on you.
Holly Gennero: That’s okay. I have my eye on his private bathroom.
39. “Hey, we’re flexible. Pearl Harbor didn’t work out so we got you with tape decks.” – Joseph Takagi
40. Dwayne: How do you know that?
Sgt. Al Powell: A hunch, things he said. Like being able to spot a phony ID.
Dwayne: Jesus Christ, Powell, he could be a fucking bartender for all we know!
Facts about Die Hard
The Towering Inferno: The idea behind Nothing Lasts Forever was inspired by John Guillermin’s 1974 horror film The Towering Inferno. After watching the film, Thorp was struck by a vision that led to the creation of the concept of Die Hard.
Bruce Willis Wasn’t the first choice as a lead actor: Despite his status as a rising star, he wasn’t the first option to play John McClane. Before the casting of Bruce Willis, the script was presented to Arnold Schwarzenegger, Burt Reynolds, Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford, and Richard Gere.
Hans Gruber’s first significant studio role: Rickman, who was uneasy about taking on the character of a German killer or terrorist, was tempted to decline the position until he got informed by his agent that it was rare for actors to receive this kind of offer.
German criminals weren’t speaking German: When the movie was shown in the theater, although some members of terrorists are depicted as German, they weren’t speaking German; it was all gibberish. But in the VHS version, it was all corrected.